Here is a profile that illustrates a possible emission reduction trajectory to reach zero emissions by 2050.
It is interesting to compare the emission reductions projected above with the recent historical emissions of various countries.
- The United States has the highest per capital emissions in the world
- Australia is among the top three in the world, and emissions have increased dramatically over the last two decades
- Germany, Denmark and Switzerland have all achieved emission reductions and have half (or less) of Australia's emissions
- China's per capita emissions have increased, but are still less than one quarter of Australia's
- India and Costa Rica have about one tenth of Australia's per capita emissions.
Source: Australian emission reductions projected, Greenlivingpedia